Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Gentle Soul - Vi Jones

The smell of well-worn leather and horse flesh excites my senses as I succumb to the rhythmic movement of the line-back dun beneath me. He has a gentle animal soul and is patient with the likes of me who haven't been on the back of a horse for many years. There was a time in my younger days I would have leapt unaided into the saddle and with a 'Hi Ho and away we go, galloped off into the sunset.' But things are different now. I need a boost. When Oliver, that's his name and what a peculiar name it is for a horse, turned his head and stared at me with those big eyes, he snorted and I thought, I'm screwed … he's going to give me a bad time. He's going to buck me off the first time the trail gets close to a drop-off. But Oliver has turned out to the gentle, caring soul he is and I'm able to sit back, relax, and enjoy the journey. Thank you, Oliver.

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Oliver is a sweetie - and yes, my hop on and gallop off days are over now as well - or as my father used to say with his tongue firmly in his cheek (I hope!) my, ``hop on and fall off" days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home